Laser tattoo removal is more advanced than ever before and while it is an effective way to get rid of your unwanted body art, there are still other factors that can affect your results.
Lasers work by shattering the ink particles under your skin, which your body removes with the help of your immune system. The problem is, when your immune system is compromised, it can completely alter how effectively your body can get rid of these particles.
The Basics of Your Immune System
The cells, organs and tissue that make up your immune system work to fight germs and infections that attempt to harm your body. There are two types of white blood cells that do most of the work when a foreign substance enters your bloodstream.
– Phagocytes: These cells are responsible for attacking and getting rid of any foreign substances. It’s these specific cells that will be working to get rid of the ink particles from your tattoo.
– Lymphocytes: These cells are responsible for forming antibodies based on past threats.
Tattoo Removal 101
When you get tattooed, ink particles are deposited into the skin, after which scar tissue encapsulates this ink. When the ink particles are this large, they can’t be removed by the body, which is why they need to be broken down.
When Melbourne tattoo removal specialists such as Clinica Lase treat your tattoo, the pulses of light that are emitted by the laser are absorbed by these ink particles, which is what causes them to shatter. This is where your immune system takes over. Now that the ink particles are small enough, they can be transported through your vascular network, which means your body can naturally eliminate the foreign particles. Some of the much smaller ink particles can even be eliminated through the skin itself.
Factors That Can Affect Your Tattoo Removal Results
Below are just a few of the factors that can impact your immune system and in turn, the results of your tattoo removal sessions.
- Poor diet. If the food that you’re consuming is high in salt, saturated fat and sugar, you are doing your immune system a disservice. Being overweight impacts your white blood cells, which affects your immune system.
- Lack of sleep. By getting too little sleep, your body produces more cortisol, which impacts your immune system.
- Not managing your stress levels is another factor that has an effect on your white blood cells and your immune system.
- Too much or too little exercise. Exercise is good for the body but too little or too much of it has the complete opposite effect.
- Consuming excessive amounts of alcohol prevents your body from absorbing the nutrients it needs to strengthen your immune system.
- Smoking has the ability to slowly destroy your white blood cells and greatly reduces the levels of antioxidants in your system.
- Bacteria and viruses will also naturally affect your immune system, which will impact your tattoo removal results.
Basically, the more you care for your body, the better your tattoo removal results will be.